Friday, May 3, 2019

Rant

Since I haven't posted in a while, I thought I'd add my latest emotional belch. It has nothing to do with art. It's life. Oh the things you see and learn from working retail.

Rant:
Working in retail, you see the good and bad in people. Money shows people's heart. All day, everyday, there are some customers telling me how to do my job, I'm guessing who have never worked retail and CERTAINLY don't know my company's policies and rules I'm to follow. So I smile and wish them a good day. You can't let them steal your joy.

Then there's the 80 plus year old guy who is obviously in pain, hardly hears with two hearing aids, and is always upbeat and sweet. He is the type of people that I chose to affect my entire day. The mean ones come in and I let fade from my emotional bank.

Yesterday, a customer used the f word to me when I told her I didn't think something was on sale. But I checked. Corporate recently changed the item that used to never go on sale, making it possible. "Oh, that's a new change. Good thing we checked. Thank you," I said as I corrected the price. She left as 'pleasantly' as she approached the register.

Tonight, at closing time and passed, I recognized a woman and her 2 year old from my church come in to return items without a receipt and no way to look up the transaction. The item(s) were dated 2017 and had been discontinued so we couldn't refund her money without the receipt. She called one of the employees a 'lieing b____', took a picture of a manager and the 'lieing b' department head, threatened to post it on fb and report them to corporate. They were following corporate's instructions. When I told my fellow employees I knew her, she was from my church, the first remark was that it proves not all who attend church are Christians. Very true but in this case I don't know. Certainly in that moment she wasn't walking as Christ teaches and left everyone with a distaste in their mouth of her character and education level.

People, Christian or not, it's wrong to treat others with disrespect, to bully them so you can financially benefit, even moreso for things you don't NEED. If you can treat strangers like that, it shows how much worse you treat your family members. Yes, life has stress, but it doesn't ease it by taking it out on others. Are you on a time crunch, lunch hour, have a doctor appointment? Then don't go shopping and get upset that YOU are making yourself late. And read ALL the words on the 'sale' sign and coupon. The cashier didn't write it or mandate where to hang the sign. They're following the rules printed in black and white for all to read, so they can keep their job to pay their bills. Don't shoot the messenger.

I could go off on the materialism god and being shallow, selfish brutes making yourself your own victims but surely you have overcome these temptations. So in the meantime, get a grip. Only two things last FOREVER and one of them is people. Invest wisely.

Bless and be blessed,
Bobbie

No comments: