Friday, May 3, 2019

May Day

May, a month when hope blossoms.


This is my first Spring in my new home, the 6th month. It's a new build so the fact that it had a lilac bush on it was a sign I hadn't expected when I walked this property before saying yes.  In fact, today's Spring reveal of it being a white lilac was greater evidence that it's a smile from my Mom. Growing up, we had both lavender and white in our yard. The white was a start from my Mom's mom. My sister and I have had starts of the lavender from my Mom's last home but never a white one from our childhood home only a few miles away. So when I went out today to white blossoms, I was pleasantly surprised. I needed that invisible hug.

Going back a week to Easter day, I discovered a Mom-plant then, too. The day began with helping in church nursery, then I spent the day alone at home. Years ago, I had 30 people or more, mostly family, filling my home with teasing and tasting. I served my homemade noodles, Beef House rolls and much more. By the time we sat down to eat, we'd be full of all the finger foods laid out to keep people in my kitchen, interacting while we finished cooking. My heart sings just thinking about it. Then, once everyone left, I think, "Shoot, I didn't get to sit down and really visit with anyone because I was on my feet working and serving the entire time, making sure every sized person had everything they needed." 'Those were the days' I hope to repeat again in my future. I digress, kinda.

Easter. Weather perfect. I spent the day working. Did I already say alone? Since one of my storage units of six years had been moved to my new garage, I finally had access to my wet/dry vac. I was excited to FINALLY vacuum my 'new' car after a year and a half. Are you getting an idea why I can appreciate the small things in life I used to take for granted? Anyway, I moved and unloaded a few more boxes. My back hasn't calmed all the way down since but it's getting better.

Oh yes, Easter's Mom-flower discovery. During the first of the year mow (why does it take nearly three hours), I noticed a leaf shape from my childhood; a peonie. They've never been especially pretty to me but I enjoyed watching and playing with the ants as they helped open the buds. Mom loved peonies so I mowed around them in hopes they are peonies. If so, I'll transplant them after they bloom.


Violets. Who doesn't love them? I have one, only one, pale plant with many purple ones. Along with them, I used to pick them and dandelions. On May Day, I'd make paper cones, glue on a paper handle, fill them with wild flowers, maybe a bulb blossom of Mom's, hang them on the door handle of a neighbor, I especially remember an elderly couple and his spinster sister three, the Pughs. I'd then knock and run and ride to watch them discover the May Day boutique tradition my Mom taught me.

Today, all of my back yard is littered with petals from the neighbor's yard of blooming trees. It's like a belated May Day gift.

What's next? Other than the few surprise flowers, my yard is a black canvas for flowers and decorative grasses. I am a creative person and have always been good with plants and veggie gardens. But flower garden DESIGN is way beyond my capability. I also lack the funds to landscape. As an artist, my blank yard is a sin. It pains me. I desire unique flowers, ferns, plants and ground cover, textures, shades, differing heights and scale, alternating blossoms three seasons a year. And I dare not think of hardscape, tho I gather inspiring pictures.

Like Paul, I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I'm in. Sometimes, for a minute or two, a dare dream beyond. I do because God loves to bless, He being a giver of good gifts and a rewarder to those who diligently seek Him. Thank you, Jesus.

May. May it be a blossom of hope for you.

Bless and be blessed.
~Bobbie

No comments: